Background: Startalk, funded by the National Security Agency (NSA), administered by the National Foreign Language Center (NFLC) at the University of Maryland, has goals to 1) increase the number of qualified teachers of Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Farsi, Hindi, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish, and Urdu; 2) increase numbers of students taking these languages; and 3) create infrastructure for curricula, materials and resources to support teaching/learning the critical languages (www.startalk.umd.edu).
What: City University of Seattle has 15 scholarships available for fluent speakers of Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish to earn teacher certification in the state of Washington, subject to February 2019 Startalk Central grant award announcement.
How: Teacher candidates who pass all entry requirements (tests, interview) will be enrolled in CityU’s Alternative Route 3 teacher certification program on a first qualified, first served basis).
- CityU Startalk Teacher Certification: Rolling deadline until all spaces filled
- All tests taken no later than May 1, 2019.
Schedule: June 29-July 19, with July 4 off; 7:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. NOTE: Teacher candidates will have pre-program reading, online assignments; assignments outside of class time, and some assignment due dates beyond July 19.
NOTE: Teacher candidates will have pre-program reading, online assignments; assignments outside of class time, and some assignment due dates beyond July 19.
- June 22-28: Program prep — online readings/videos with reflection papers
- Sat., June 29 Workshop: Backwards Design, thematic unit and lesson planning
- July 1 CityU orientation; Day 1 EDU 323
- July 2, 3, 5 Certification classes, including lab school preparation
- July 8-12 Morning lab school with afternoon certification class
- July 15-17 Morning lab school with afternoon certification class
- July 18 Last day morning lab school; continue certification class
- July 19 Wrap up class activities, surveys, evaluations, certificates of completion
Where: Chong Wa Hall, 522 7thAve. S, Seattle Chinatown 98104
Teacher Candidate Pre-requisites:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in the U.S. or other country.
- Passing the WEST-B (Washington Educator’s Basic Skills Test) Reading, Writing and Math (nesinc.com). Substitutions: C-BEST, SAT or ACT. http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Teacher/teachertesting.aspx.
- Passing ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPIc) and Writing Proficiency Test (iWPT). Passing: Advanced Low http://www.languagetesting.com/oral-proficiency-interview-by-computer-opic
- CityU’s Startalk program also requires passing one of the following pre-requisite choices, pending state changes:
- ELL (WEST-E 051), plusElementary Education Subtest I(NES 102) and Elementary Education Subtest II(NES 103); passing these tests enables you to teach ELL P-12 and/or elementary grades K-8;ortake ELL + a math or ELL + Special Education or choose
- Special Education (WEST-E 070); passing this test enables you to teach SpEd P-12, (may be required by state to dual endorse in Elementary Ed also) orchoose
- Secondary Math (NES 304); passing NES 304 enables you to teach math 5th-12thgrades (secondary),or choose
- Mid Grades Math (NES 203); Mid Grades Math does not include trigonometry and calculus. Passing NES 203 enables you to teach math 4th-9thgrades.
- The Designated World Languages(WEST-E 100) test may be taken near the end of certification; passing it enables you to teach Chinese, Korean or Portuguese (fulfills Startalk Central Goal 1: increase numbers of teachers of critical languages).
- Bachelor’s degrees from outside the U.S. need to be evaluated for equivalency
Below is one area evaluation agency:
Foundation for International Services
505 – 5th Avenue South, Suite 101
Edmonds, WA 98020
- 80 hours teaching and/or tutoring or experience with children required.
- Summer tuition scholarships available for qualifying candidates.
Reminder: All information above pending February 2019 grant award announcements and state and CityU changes.
Questions? Contact Betty Lau, CityU of Seattle Startalk director: email@example.com
Startalk Applicants: Email your resume to Betty Lau. Interviews will be arranged.