668 N Riverpoint Blvd
Spokane, WA 99202 (EWUC
Our 2019 Spokane regional workshop will take place at Eastern Washington University in Spokane, WA on Saturday, August 24th, 2019, from 9am-4:30pm. We’re very excited about this full-day workshop led by our keynote speaker, Zoe Jiang. She is the 2018 Washington State World Language Teacher of the Year. Zoe will focus on how to incorporate culture into teaching. In the afternoon, we will include three 50-minute sessions facilitated by JingranWan, Huan-Mei (Ivy) Hall, and Lusi Hong.
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019
Time: 9am – 4:30pm with one-hour lunch break @ 12pm (6 hours total*)
Target Audience: K – 16 Chinese Instructors
Location: Eastern Washington University, Spokane campus. EWU Center (EWUC), Room 112 668 N Riverpoint Blvd, Spokane, WA 99202
Keynote Presenter: Zoe Jiang
Topic: 101 Things You Didn’t Know about Teaching Chinese Culture
This hands-on workshop will provide Chinese teachers with the expertise to guide students through exciting Chinese cultural activities. These classroom-proven activities have been designed to meet ACTFL standards and the needs of 21st century learners. This highly interactive workshop features year-round cultural themes ranging from Chinese festivals, tea ceremony, music, Kungfu, food preparation, clothing, traditional games, operas, to cultural field trips, and more. The presenter will add a new twist to common cultural activities to help teachers enrich their students’ classroom learning experiences. Going beyond other cultural seminars, this workshop introduces how to integrate the ACTFL standards of comparisons, connections, and communities in the cultural context.
Participants will be able to:
- Leave this workshop with access to a database featuring slides, handouts, and video links to enliven their Chinese culture lessons
- Integrate Chinese cultural elements into Western festivals, celebrations and holidays
- Connect Chinese culture to other disciplines through STEM projects and general cross-curricular projects
- Use cultural teaching and learning as a voice to make Chinese programs more visible in schools, school districts, cities, and states.
Presenter: Jingran Wan, Odle Middle School, Bellevue School District, WA
Topic: Adapting SIOP Model into Large-size Chinese Classrooms
Presenter: Huan-Mei (Ivy) Hall, Spokane Community College, WA
Topic: How to Use Games to Motivate Students to Learn
Presenter: Lusii Hong, former Chinese teacher in Lake Highland Preparatory School, FL
Topic: Feedback and Motivation
Cost: Free for current CLTA-WA members for both on-site and Zoom participants.
$20 for non-members for both on-site and Zoom participants.
(*CLTA-WA annual membership fee: $30.00 from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.)
Participants who attend the entire workshop are eligible for six clock hours. (Partial clock hours cannot be awarded. No clock hours will be awarded to Zoom participants at this point.)
8:30am – 9am Sign in
9am – 12pm Welcome & Presentation by Zoe Jiang
12pm – 1pm Lunch (Please bring your own lunch.)
1pm – 2pm Presentation by Jingran Wan
2pm – 3pm Presentation by Huan-Mei (Ivy) Hall
3pm – 4pm Presentation by Lushi Hong
4pm – 4:30pm Evaluation & Wrap up
(If clicking the link does not open the registration page, please copy and paste to your browser. Registration deadline August 20, 2019.)
- Light refreshments will be provided. Please bring your own lunch.
- This event is held in the EWUC building, labeled #5 on the map found at the link below. Please note the ORANGE 1 lot is the closest entrance to the EWUC building and costs $6 to park all day, the green parking lots are $4 https://spokane.wsu.edu/facilities/parking/campus-map/)
CLTA-WA extends our sincere appreciation to the co-sponsors of this event:
- Confucius Institute of the State of Washington (http://confucius.washington.edu)
- Chinese Language Teachers Association, USA (CLTA) (https://clta-us.org/)
- Washington Association for Language Teaching (WAFLT) (https://www.waflt.net)
- Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, EWU (https://www2.ewu.edu/cale/programs/modern-languages)
For more information about the workshop, please go to Chinese Language Teachers Association -Washington at http://www.clta-wa.org/or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org