Selecting and Adapting Authentic Videos to Maximize your Learning
Time: September 8th 2018, 8:30am – 3:30pm w/ 1 hour lunch break @ 12:30pm (6 hours total)
Presenter: Joanne Shang
Joanne Shang teaches Mandarin Chinese at Rye Country Day School in New York, and is professionally focused on student-centered pedagogy, evidence-based proficiency assessment, and instructional technology for 21st Century Learning.
Target Audience: K – 16 Instructors
Location: THO 101 – Thomson Hall, The University of Washington
Cost: Free for CLTA-WA members; $20.00 for non-members (CLTA-WA annual membership fee: $30.00 for July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019)
During this interactive workshop, participants will learn how to select and adapt the perfect authentic video clips to maximize the learning outcome through direct hands-on experience using authentic audio-visual materials that they will learn how to source, integrate, and implement into their curriculums. Each teacher will leave with a video resources, as well as a video based lesson or activity that they will create using the skills they learn during the workshop. Teachers will be able to explore using these authentic video materials to design curriculum/activities in Interpretive and Interpersonal Communication tasks for pairs, small groups, and whole class instruction.
- To provide participants with a better understanding of what authentic materials are available and how to access them.
- To instruct participants in how to qualify and implement video materials with the greatest relevance and benefit to their learning outcomes
- To give participants a better understanding of how to integrate these video materials as a means of supplement their curriculum and lessons.
- To source relevant, effective, and authentic video materials from a variety of locations.
- To develop lesson plans that integrate these video materials into the curricula.
- To implement the plans in a variety of classroom instructional activities.
|8:00am – 8:30am||Sign-in|
|8:30am – 12:30pm||Session 1|
|12:30pm – 1:30pm||Break and Announcements|
|1:30pm – 3:00pm||Session 2|
|3:00pm – 3:30pm||Evaluation and Wrap-up|
(If clicking the link does not open registration page, please copy and paste to register. Registration deadline Sep-5-2018)
- 6 clock hours will be awarded respectively for participants who attend the whole afternoon event in the entirety. No partial clock hour will be awarded.
- Refreshments and beverages will be provided.
CLTA-WA extends our sincere appreciation to the co-sponsors of this event:
Confucius Institute of the State of Washington (CIWA)
East Asia Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Department of Asian Languages and Literature, University of Washington
Direction to UW Campus: https://admit.washington.edu/visit/getting-here
Campus Map: http://www.washington.edu/maps/