Fall 2019 CLTA-WA/Chinese Innovation Forum workshop 3:00 pm
Fall 2019 CLTA-WA/Chinese Innovation Forum workshop @ University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington
Oct 25 @ 3:00 pm – Oct 26 @ 7:00 pm
Dear members, Our fall workshop will be a co-sponsored event, working with the Chinese Innovation Forum, to host a two-day conference at University of Puget Sound in Tacoma on October 25-26, 2019. The Forum will include keynote speeches, panel discussions, innovation trade … Continue reading
Our fall workshop will be a co-sponsored event, working with the Chinese Innovation Forum, to host a two-day conference at University of Puget Sound in Tacoma on October 25-26, 2019. The Forum will include keynote speeches, panel discussions, innovation trade fair presentations, and many opportunities to meet and network with other K-16 educators, and to get to know their work.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you plan for this fall workshop:
1. Register early; the first 40 currently CLTA-WA members will have their registration fee ($50) waived.
2. The Forum runs for two days, with optional add-on workshops for participants to attend. Forum participants who choose to attend the workshop will pay an additional fee of $50 per workshop, which is NOT waived for our members.
3. Participants can choose to attend only the second day (full day) conference. Clock hours will be offered for those who attend the full-day event.
4. All participants are encouraged to share their teaching during the Educator’s Trade Fair in the afternoon sessions of the conference. The Fair is like a Swap Shop or Poster Presentation, with the goal to encourage exchange of ideas and peer collaborations. You will be given more detail during registration.
THE 5th CHINESE INNOVATION FORUM
Dates: Oct 25-26, 2019
Venue: University of Puget Sound
FORUM THEME: ADVOCACY & LEADERSHIP
1. Anna Vassilieva, Director& Professor, Graduate Initiative in Russian Studies, Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
2. Christopher Livaccari, language educator, former US diplomat, author, senior adviser for China Learning Initiatives in Asia Society’s Center for Global Education, and Head of School at Presidio Knolls School
3. Jianhua Bai, Chinese AP Chief Reader, Professor of Chinese at Kenyon College, former Director of Chinese School of Middlebury College, and senior academic adviser to the American Councils for International Education
Friday, Oct. 25 (1st half-day Conference Schedule)
3:00 – 4:00 PM Registration
4:00 – 6:30 PM Add-on Workshops
- Workshop 1: Language and Beyond: 互动式教学活动设计
Presenter: Ya-Ching Hsu-Kelkis (K-12), Chinese American International School
- Workshop 2: Student-Centered Classroom in Second Language Learning:
Presenters: Samantha Yang (K-2) & Miye Lin (3-5), Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley
- Workshop 3: Teaching with Mobile Tech: 如何在教学中应用GarageBand App 和Extempore APP
Presenters: Juei-Chuan Hung, University Prep & Luna Yu, Annie Wright Schools (All Levels)
6:30 – 8:00 PM Opening Night Reception & Buffet Dinner
Saturday, Oct. 26 (2nd full-day Conference Schedule)
7:45 – 8:45 Check-in/Registration; Breakfast, Welcome
8:45 – 12:00 Keynote Speakers & Discussions
12:00 – 1:00 Buffet Luncheon
1:00 – 1:45 Educator’s Trade Fair Table Setup & Intro
1:45 – 3:15 Various Presentations at the Trade Fair
3:15 – 4:00 Discussions
4:00 – 4:30 Reflection & Concluding Remarks
4:30 – 5:00 Closing Reception
4:30-7:00 Workshop 4: How to Teach Grammar 互动式的语法教学,
Presenters: Yuwen Yao, UCLA & Liping Yu, University of Washington