Startalk Teacher Certification Pre-requisites
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in the U.S. or other country.
2. Passing scores on the WEST B (Washington Educator’s Basic Skills Test) in Reading, Writing and Math (west.nesinc.com).
- Most find that 5 hours is not enough time to do all three tests.
- Past test takers recommend signing up for reading and math first and then taking the writing test in a separate session.
- Substitutions: C-BEST, SAT or ACT scores (see OSPI website)
- Startalk Requirement: Passing scores on the world language test: ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPIc) and the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT). Choose a Startalk language.
- Sign up for the OPIc if available; it’s more cost effective than asking for an in-person tester.
- In Washington state, passing is set at Advanced Low.
- Note: CityU requires passing one of the following in order to enroll in its alternate route certification program:
- Either ELL (WEST E 051), plus NES 102 and NES 103.Passing these tests will enable you to teach ELL P-12 and/or elementary grades K-8.
- Or Special Education (WEST E 070); passing this will enable you to teach SpEd P-12.
- Or Secondary Math (grades 6-12), NES 304
- Or Mid Grades Math (grades 5-9), NES 203. The difference is the Mid Grades Math test does not include trigonometry and calculus.
- Note: Passing NES 203 will enable you to teach math 5th-9thgrades; passing NES 304 will enable you to teach math 6th-12thgrades.
Other endorsements may be added near the end of certification, such as the Designated World Language (E 100) in order for you to teach a Startalk language.
Potential teacher candidates need to start taking the tests as soon as possible because of possibly needing to wait and re-take one or more of the above tests. The waiting period for a re-test is 45 days for the WEST B. And it takes up to six weeks for certain test scores to come in. Test Taking Deadline: May 1, 2019.
Questions? Contact Betty Lau, CityU Startalk director: firstname.lastname@example.org.