Background: STARTALK is a national project funded by the National Security Agency. STARTALK’s mission is to increase the number of U.S. citizens learning, speaking and teaching critical-need languages, with programs nationwide for students (K-16) and teachers (https://startalk.umd.edu/public/).
What: City University of Seattle Startalk 14 will cover tuition for 10.5 out of 12 credits for 13 fluent speakers of Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Russian, or Spanish to enroll in Startalk and, at the same time, be admitted to and take coursework through CityU’s Alternative Routes to Certification program. Startalk 15 has 12 spaces, base Startalk tuition/application fee coverage: $3830, but likely to rise.
How: Teacher candidates who qualify (meet state requirements, interview, etc.) will be admitted into CityU’s Alternative Route 2, 3 or 4 teacher certification program on a first qualified basis https://www.cityu.edu/programs-overview/alternative-route-teacher-certification/. Regardless of route, summer coursework is the same, and Startalk requirements are in addition to alt route requirements. Note: program subject to change depending on public health guidelines, state and CityU of Seattle changes.
- CityU STARTALK Teacher Certification: until spaces filled or May 31.
- All tests taken no later than May 31, 2021, with official test scores received by program start.
STARTALK 14 Summer 2021 Overview: June 27-July 1 online; July 2 on-site workshop; July 5-July 23 on-site, approximately 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. NOTE: Teacher candidates will have pre-program readings, online and outside of class assignments, and some assignments due beyond July 23.
STARTALK 14 Summer 2021 Dates:
- Sun.-F, June 27-July1 Online program: online readings/videos; assignments, reflection papers due July 3.
- Fri., July 2 On-site workshop, 9 AM-4 PM Backwards Design, thematic unit and lesson planning
- M-F, July 5-9 CityU orientation, AM certification class; PM lab school prep
- M-Th, July 12-15 Morning lab school, afternoon certification classes
- F, July 16 No lab school, reflect, review, re-align; afternoon certification classes
- M-W, July 19-21 Morning lab school, afternoon certification classes
- Th, July 22 Last day lab school, afternoon certification class
- F, July 24, Wrap up activities, last day classes, final assignments, certificates of summer program completion
STARTALK 15 Summer 2021 Dates:
- Sun.-F, July18-23 Online program: online readings/videos; assignments, reflection papers due July 23.
- Sat., July 24 On-site workshop, 9 AM-4 PM Backwards Design, thematic unit and lesson planning
- M-F, July 26-30 CityU orientation, AM certification class; PM lab school prep
- M-Th, Aug. 2-5 Morning lab school, afternoon certification classes
- F, Aug. 6 No lab school, reflect, review, re-align; afternoon certification classes
- M-W, Aug. 9-11 Morning lab school, afternoon certification classes
- Th, Aug. 12 Last day lab school, afternoon certification class
- F, Aug. 13, Wrap up activities, last day classes, final assignments, certificates of Startalk summer program completion
Where: Chong Wa Hall, 522 7th Ave. S, Seattle Chinatown 98104
Post Summer CityU Schedule if Teacher Candidates Continue: October-June–Alt. Routes classes approximately every third Saturday in Everett, along with full-time apprenticeships/student teaaching in K-12 schools
Teacher Candidate State Pre-requisites:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in the U.S. or other country.
- Take the WEST-B (Washington Educator’s Basic Skills Test) Reading, Writing and Math (nesinc.com). Substitutions: C-BEST, SAT, ACT. See website for more; passing score not required, but must demonstrate English proficiency http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Teacher/teachertesting.aspx. WEST-B study materials: https://yvcc.instructure.com/courses/1568768/modules
- A. Take your choice of ONE of the following Alt. Route endorsement test areas:
- Special Education (WEST-E 070)
- ELL(WEST-E 051)
- Mid Grades Math: (NES 203): Passing NES 203 enables you to teach math 4th-9th This test does not include trigonometry and calculus.
- Secondary Math (NES 304): Passing enables you to teach math 5th-12th
- Reading (NES 104)
B. Talk to Startalk enrollment advisor about combinations of above; attend the pre- enrollment info session in February.
Pre-requisites for Startalk participant tuition coverage:
- Pass Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Persian, Russian or Spanish Oral Proficiency Interview (OPIc) and Writing Proficiency Test (iWPT) for world language teachers. Passing: Advanced Low; c = computer, i = Internet
2. Pass WEST E 100 Designated World Language Te
3. Fulfill Teacher Candidate State Pre-requisites section above
- Non-English Bachelor’s degrees:
- Need to be officially translated into English by an agency
- Agency then turns it in to CityU for evaluation
- Or you can go to CityU with the original to have it received officially by a CityU staff member.
- A suggested agency:
Foundation for International Services, https://www.fis-web.com/
505 – 5th Avenue South, Suite 101 Edmonds, WA 98020
- 80 hours teaching and/or tutoring or experience with children required.
- STARTALK 14 covers summer tuition for approximately10.6 out of 12 credits and application fee for teacher candidates ($4,207.85). Candidates pay for 1.4 credits: $642.15 but may be less, subject to approval by NSA.
- STARTALK 15 covers summer tuition for 9/12 credits and application fee for qualifying candidates ($3,830). Candidates pay 3 credits: $1260, but may be less, subject to approval by NSA.
- CityU STARTALK cannot apply for visas or sign for those needing visas to participate in the CityU of Seattle STARTALK Teacher Certification Program.
- Limited number of WEST B vouchers may be available to CityU STARTALK enrolled applicants, first come, first served until vouchers are gone.
Questions? Contact Betty Lau, CityU of Seattle STARTALK director: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email your resume to Betty Lau: email@example.com with cc to Dr. Marge Chow: firstname.lastname@example.org for interview/conversation appointment
- Note: Interviewing now for Summer 2021 programs.